Translater

Monday, January 13, 2014

What Happens on a Day Off...

I was frustrated. My "A" Bible study contact (I had thought) fell through on me after I drove all the way out to Northern El Paso on my day off for her.  "I guess I'll canvass for a little while since I drove all the way out here," I thought to myself. "Maybe I can get enough money to cover the gas it took to get here," I added a little sarcastically.  I drove a couple streets over and started knocking. Between my second and third door I started singing (rather loudly too) before noticing a woman out on her front porch, smoking a cigarette and watching me. I laughed, apologized, and commented on what a nice night it was to get over the awkwardness as I walked up to her. 

Her name is Jamie. We started talking, and she shared how she used to be a missionary, but wasn't able to anymore. She seemed really sad about it, but wanted to help me with my mission. She went inside, and came out with a stack of ones, saying all she could find was $7. God impressed me to give her the Peace Above the Storm (Steps to Christ) anyways. As I was telling her this, she was counting the money again. "I know I didn't miscount in the house a minute ago," she said, "but it is $10 now. My mom won't believe it. We both counted this. I've seen crazier miracles happen in the mission field though. Praise God He gave you everything you needed." We talked a little while, then she offered to pray for me. 

Before I left, I offered her Bible studies, and she agreed, though she said she would prefer to do it in a group. It so happens that one street over lives a super sweet lady, Erika, who was my first Bible study contact ever. She had already agreed to let another lady on the street join the studies, so Jaime might be the third person to join the group. I'm really excited to unite all three ladies in the same neighborhood together, God willing. 

We exchanged phone numbers and went on our way. As I was already thinking in my head about how I would share this testimony, I got a text from her. It said, 
"I could really use a friend, Laressa. I will explain more later, but rest assured that God placed you in my path. God bless you sister."


My heart was absolutely singing for joy on the way home as I recounted how God had used me today, and how he gave us both a new friend. I hope and pray that I can be a support to her in everything she is going through (for sake of her privacy I didn't tell everything that's going on in her life.) And hopefully I can connect her with lasting, godly friends in Erika and Dusty, who will be there long after I have to leave. Please pray for Jamie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment